Put your endurance to the test and build strength.
This superset strength routine is everything you need to get your body fit to handle anything that comes your way. Short, sweet and complete, it combines resistance training and bodyweight moves that challenge core endurance and total body strength. It’s the duration, not the moves alone that builds strength: You perform the first movement in each superset for one minute, and then perform the second movement for 30 seconds (unless otherwise indicated). Most likely, the 30 second move will feel easier, but make sure you keep up the pace.
Whether you are gearing up for the energy to dance all night or you’re training for your next race, this routine delivers.
- Rest for 30 seconds to one minute between supersets.
- Repeat for up to three rounds.
Bear – 1 minute
- Begin on hands and knees. Tuck your toes under and raise your hips slightly so that you’re balanced on your hands and the balls of your feet, with your knees bent but hovering above the floor.
- Keeping your back flat, place your right hand and step your right foot forward, followed by your left hand and foot.
- “Crawl” forward several paces and then backward several paces for a full minute.
Monkey – 1 minute
- Lower your body into a squat and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Put your weight on your hands and hop your feet together to the right, then swing your hands and upper body to the right.
- Continue to move to your right several paces, then hop your feet and swing your hands to the left several paces. Repeat for a full minute.
Frogger – 1 minute
- Stand tall, then drop into a squat and place your hands on the floor.
- Hop your legs straight out behind you; then hop them back toward your hands twice.
- To finish, walk your hands back to your feet and roll up to standing.
- Squat and repeat, for one minute.
Chest Press – 1 minute
- Lie on your back, with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, bend your elbows 90 degrees so that your forearms are perpendicular to the floor. Position your elbows straight out to either side and rotate the dumbbells so that they are aligned and level.
- Press the dumbbells up and straighten your arms, then slowly return to start.
Dumbbell Row to Fly – 30 seconds
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart, with a dumbbell in each hand and your hands at your sides.
- Hinge forward from your hips and bend your knees slightly, keeping your weight in your heels as you send your butt back into a quarter or half squat.
- As you hinge forward, let your arms hang in front of you with the dumbbells.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together as you pull your elbows back and draw the dumbbells toward your armpits.
- Lower your arms and then lift the dumbbells out to either side, squeezing your shoulder blades and keeping your elbows soft.
- Lower your arms again and continue to row and fly.
- Tip: Keep your abs engaged and use slightly lighter weights.
Star Jumps – 1 minute
- Stand tall.
- Lower yourself into a squat and then spring up, extending your hands and legs out like a star as you lift off the ground.
Half Squat Hold – 30 seconds
- Stand with your feet a little wider than hip-width apart.
- Lower yourself into a half squat and hold for as long as you can, up to 30 seconds.
Push-Ups – 1 minute
- Start in plank position, shoulders stacked over your elbows and wrists, abs engaged and your body held rigid in a straight line from head to toe.
- Keep your body rigid as you lower yourself to the floor, keeping your elbows as close to your sides as possible.
- Push up into your starting plank position and repeat.
Side Plank Hold with Leg Lift – 30 seconds in plank and then on both sides.
- Begin in plank position.
- Keep your body rigid as you rotate to a side plank on your right, opening your left arm and lifting it to the ceiling as you come to rest on the sides of your feet.
- Engage your abs, lift your hips to the ceiling and stack your left foot on top of your right foot. Keeping your top (left) leg straight and your foot parallel to the floor, lift your left leg slowly, and lower back down.
- Rotate back to prone plank, hold for 30 seconds, and then rotate and repeat side plank and leg lift on the other side.
V-Ups (Tuck-Ups) – 1 minute
- Lie on your back with your right arm extended to the side and your left arm overhead.
- Then roll partly onto your right hip with your feet stacked.
- Contract your abs as you bring your left hand down and lift your feet—together—toward your left hand in a crunch.
- Return to start and repeat for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on opposite side for 30 seconds.
Hollow Body Hold – 30 seconds
- Begin lying on your back, arms by your sides and palms facing up.
- Contract your abs as you lift your head and shoulders, legs and arms up to hover above the floor, palms facing up.
- Hold, then lower your body and repeat.
Kneeling Lunge/Lizard Stretch
- Begin on all fours and then plant your right foot to the outside of your right hand.
- Let your back knee hover off the floor as you lower down to your forearms.
- Hold. Return to start and repeat on opposite side.
- Lie on the floor, arms by your sides, knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Contract your glutes and press through your heels as you lift your hips into a bridge, and hold for one count.
- Lower your hips slowly and relax your glutes. Repeat.
Photo credit (hero): Astarot, Thinkstock
Videography: Mark Kuroda, kurodastudios.com
Hair and Make-up: Mia Delina Escobar
Models: Jessica Hermanowski, Peter Motichka, 24 Hour Fitness