Hosting a brunch get-together and need a recipe your friends will be talking about for the next week? Make these sweet potato waffles with guacamole and poached eggs from Sassy Gregson-Williams, creator of Naturally Sassy and Ballet Blast by Sassy.
Not only are these waffles savory and delicious, but they also are a great source of fiber, protein and fat—all of which help balance blood sugar levels and help decrease snacking throughout the day. Plus, these waffles are Paleo, which means no matter who you invite to brunch, you’ll be able to please almost any palate.
(Or make these if you’re craving breakfast for dinner and need something quick, filling and satisfying!)
Sweet Potato Waffles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 eggs (poach them)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- optional toppings: gluten-free hot sauce, chopped cilantro, vegan sour cream
- Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil and keep it going.
- Heat waffle iron. Once waffle iron is hot, add half the grated sweet potatoes, spreading it out in an even layer. Close waffle iron and cook until slightly browned. Repeat with remaining sweet potatoes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, stir together avocado, lime juice, salt, red onions and cilantro. Cover and add to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Crack egg into small bowl. Stir boiling water to create movement. With water still circling, gently lower egg into circling water. The white should wrap around the yolk. Keep it at a gentle soft boil, removing egg with a slotted spoon when the white is cooked through (approximately 1 to 2 minutes).
- Repeat egg-cooking process with second egg.
- To assemble, add each sweet potato waffle to a plate. Top with a thick layer of guacamole, followed by tomatoes and jalapeñ Gently top with poached egg.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Photo credit: Courtesy of Sassy Gregson-Williams