Go-To Green Sauce
By Elle Penner, MPH RD
Whatever goals you’ve set for 2020, this Go-To Green Sauce deserves a spot alongside those soon-to-be accomplishments.
Guacamole meets pesto in this thick, spoonable avocado sauce that doubles as a dip, spread, dressing and marinade. Featuring cilantro, parsley, fresh lime juice, pistachios, and a whole jalapeno for kick, the uses for this versatile guac-inspired sauce are nearly endless.
Just this week I served it as a quick dip with tortilla chips, spread it onto a slice of crusty bread for a new twist on my morning avocado toast, and spooned it onto some bean and cheese quesadillas for a fast weeknight dinner. And since I had cilantro and parsley to spare, I also froze a batch to incorporate into quick meals in the future.
If it’s serving inspiration you need, here are ten different ways you can use this good-on-everything Go-To Green Sauce:
- Sprinkle it with Cotija cheese and serve it as a dip with tortilla chips
- Spread it onto a slice of crusty bread for a new take on avocado toast
- Spoon it onto a quesadilla
- Fold it into some make-ahead breakfast burritos
- Dollop some on top of a quick bean and rice bowl for a nutritionally-balanced meatless meal
- Use it as a mayo substitute on sandwiches
- Spoon it on top of your pick of protein: grilled chicken breast, shrimp, steak, or fish
- Add a spoonful (and a whole lot of flavor) to fish tacos
- Serve it alongside a brunch-worthy egg dish like huevos rancheros or chilaquiles
- Thin it a bit and use it as a salad dressing or marinade
Go-To Green Sauce
This creamy, nutrient-packed sauce takes all of five minutes to make, goes well with just about everything, and freezes like a dream. So grab a few ripe avocados and whip some up this week!
MAKES: 1 ½ cups
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- ½ cup packed parsley leaves
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup water, plus more to thin as desired
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios
- Add avocado, cilantro, parsley, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, water and salt to a food processor and process until smooth. Add pistachios and pulse until desired consistency is reached. Season with additional salt and/or lime to taste. If using as a marinade or dressing, thin with additional water and/or olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
- Store sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week, or freeze in small jars for up to three months.
Video & photo credit: Elle Penner, MPH RD