TGIF got you running for the weekend fun? Good, go then, but don’t let your fitness take a hit on the way. Instead, fit these five moves in for a quick sweat that gets you out the door and on to happy hour and more playtime for you.
This program is a high intensity interval program that you can do anywhere–simply put on a high-energy playlist and perform each move for 60 seconds, then repeat the circuit for three to five rounds. Use full range of motion and as much intensity as you can sustain without sacrificing form and technique. Wrap it up with a targeted stretch and then get on with the night ahead.
Side Shuffle With Burpee
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, arms at your sides.
- In one fluid motion, drop into a squat and place your hands on the ground, and jump your feet straight behind you to a high-plank position.
- Lower into a push-up, and as you push back up, jump your feet under your hips to squat.
- As you stand, stay low and shuffle to your right a few feet. Perform another burpee, and as you come up, shuffle left.
- Repeat, alternating shuffling from side to side
Reverse Lunge to Power Jump
- Stand with your feet under your hips, arms at your sides.
- Step your right leg back to come into a reverse lunge.
- As your drive through your front foot to stand, drive your right knee up and jump, pointing your foot.
- Land in a reverse lunge again with your right leg back and repeat. Switch legs after 30 seconds.
Dumbbell Push-Up to Renegade Row With Triceps Extension
- Start in a plank position with your hands holding dumbbells on the floor directly under your shoulders. Widen your feet if you need a wider base.
- Perform a push-up. At the top, row your right elbow up by your side, then kick the dumbbell back for a triceps extension.
- Place the dumbbell back on the ground and perform another push-up. Repeat on the left side.
- Continue your push-ups and alternating arms as you row and extend.
Medicine-Ball Reverse Pullover With Crunch to Bridge
- Lie on your back holding a medicine ball in both hands, feet on the floor and knees bent.
- Bring the medicine ball up over your head, arms extended.
- Bring the ball back up over your chest as you crunch your shoulders off the ground.
- Keep the ball above your chest as you lower down, and perform a hip bridge, pressing your hips to the ceiling and squeezing your glutes.
- Lower your hips down and repeat.
Quad and Glute Release
- Sit with one leg in front of you and one leg behind you with both knees bent to 90 degrees.
- Grab your back foot, pull it toward you as you lean forward, and feel the stretch in your back glute/quad and front hamstrings.
- Release and then switch legs, bringing the other leg forward and sending the opposite leg back.
Photo credit: Studio Firma, Stocksy; Todd Cribari, inspirostudio.com
Model: Rachelle (Cihonski) Mahoney