This is a fast-paced workout that combines core training with a variety of cardiovascular drills—and can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
With a high cardio demand, the core will be forced to work that much harder because of the increase in breathing frequency. The cardio and core portions are alternated in a superset fashion, and each set of cardio changes in an acute variable (speed, resistance, incline, direction).
Superset 1 (repeat twice)
- Stand with your feet wider than hip width, holding a dumbbell in front of you.
- Pivot your body to your right, bending your right knee and releasing your left heel to bring the dumbbell outside your right knee.
- In one swift motion, shovel the dumbbell up as you rotate back to center and then bring it outside your left knee, pivoting through your body and releasing your right heel.
- Continue “shoveling” with the dumbbell, alternating sides, then rest and prepare for exercise 1b.
- Begin on your knees and forearms, hands separated and elbows under your shoulders. Come up onto your toes into a low plank.
- Create one long line from head to heels. Actively tighten your glutes and drive your forearms into the ground, maintaining a stiff position for 20 seconds.
- Rest 10 seconds—long enough to immediately go back to exercise 1a.
Superset 2 (repeat 3 times)
- Stand with your feet under your hips facing a medicine ball on the ground.
- Run in place, bringing your knees up and tapping your toes on the ball, alternating feet. Pump your arms as you run in place.
- After a few seconds, start to move around the ball to the left, maintaining your high- knee run and toe tap.
- Come back to center and then move around the ball to the right. Return to center, rest and set yourself up for 2b.
- Begin on your left side with your elbow directly under your shoulder and your feet staggered, left in front of right. Press your forearm firmly into the ground in front of you.
- Raise your hips up and reach your top hand to the ceiling, stacking it over your shoulder, and hold this position.
- After 15 seconds, roll your body to face the ground and continue rolling to the other side until you are set up in the opposite side plank. (Try to roll through so your hips never touch the ground.)
- Complete 15 seconds on this side and then rest 30 seconds as you set yourself back up for 2a.
Superset 3 (repeat 3 times)
- Begin seated with your legs together out in front of you, holding a dumbbell in both hands.
- Reach forward toward your feet with the dumbbell and then row it back to your right side, twisting through your torso, like you’re rowing a boat.
- Return the dumbbell out in front of your feet, then twist and row back to the left.
- Repeat, alternating sides.
- Lie down on your back with your arms up in the air, elbows bent to 90 degrees, and your feet up in the air with your knees bent to 90 degrees.
- Reach one arm back overhead while keeping the other arm still as you simultaneously kick your opposite leg straight out and down toward the ground while keeping the opposite leg still.
- Bring both limbs back to the start position.
- Repeat with the other limbs, and then continue to alternate for 30 seconds.
- Once completed, rest 30 seconds as you set yourself up to get back to 3a.
Superset 4 (repeat 3 times)
- Stand with your feet under your hips, hands at your sides.
- Spring off one leg and land on the other foot, knee slightly bent, as you bring your other leg behind you.
- Bound from one side to another, landing softly on one foot with your leg slightly bent. Attempt to keep the non-landing leg off the ground.
- Hinge through your hips and maintain a long spine.
- Perform side to side for 30 seconds, and then rest 30 seconds as you set yourself up for 4b.
- Begin on all fours in a quadruped position with your shoulders stacked on top of your wrists and your hips stacked on top of your knees.
- Reach one arm directly up and out in front of you as you simultaneously kick and extend the opposite side leg back.
- Hold the end position for one second, return back to quadruped position and repeat on the other side.
- Maintain a long spine with proper neck alignment.
- Continue alternating sides for 30 seconds. Once 30 seconds is completed, rest 30 seconds as you set yourself up to go back to 4a.
- Lie flat on your back with your legs straight and slightly spread apart. Keep your palms up and arms down by your side.
- Close your eyes, keep you face relaxed, and breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.