There’s no limit to how fit and healthy you can feel. So regardless of how healthy your lifestyle is, you can always do better. The good news is, it’s not hard—because when it comes to boosting your vitality, it’s the little things that count.
One of the fastest ways to establish healthy habits is to follow my favorite vitality tips. These are basically effort-free ways to make healthy living easy!
- Keep a one-week food diary to make sure you’re hitting all your nutrient goals. (Try using the free app MyFitnessPal.)
- Every week, sample a new seasonal vegetable (or vegetable recipe) you’ve never tried before.
- Improve your vegetable and fruit intake by stocking up on frozen and canned goods. Check labels to make sure there’s no added salt, sugar or sweeteners.
- Don’t be afraid of fructose, but try to have your fruit before 4 p.m. each day.
- When you go to a restaurant, broaden your tastes and maximize your nutrients by trying out the most interesting vegetarian dish on the menu.
- Anticipate your low-energy times of day and plan in advance for a nutrient-packed snack.
- If you’re tempted to eat when you’re not truly hungry, distract yourself with an activity incompatible with eating such as playing with your pet or cleaning your teeth.
You can find more advice on the best fuel for your body here.
- Encourage your body to wind down at night by keeping daily deadlines for your final stimulant of the day—last coffee, laptop close, final phone screen scroll.
- Manage your sleeping environment for optimal rest. Keep your room tidy, temperate and free of blue light from electronic devices.
- Measure your sleep. Use a sleep app to check that you’re meeting your goals, and track your progress over time.
- Set a weekday bedtime that’s appropriate for your nature and your household. Structure your habits to adhere to it most days.
- Getting ready for bed can be tiring, so get organized early while you still have the energy. Try starting on your following day preparations early evening or even afternoon.
You can learn more about establishing good sleep habits here.
- Reach your water quota by starting early in the day—one glass with breakfast, two before 10 a.m., two before 1 p.m., two before 4 p.m., one with dinner.
- Line up multiple (preferably reusable) water bottles in your fridge and grab one every time you hop in the car.
- Motivate yourself to drink more water by investing in multiple cool-looking bottles that you enjoy using.
- Reach your daily water quota via a variety of formats: water bottles, decaffeinated herbal tea, water cooler at work, sparkling water at dinner.
- Look for opportunities to add water into your daily life. For example, always have a glass in a meeting or while you wait for take-away coffee.
- Make it your policy to never say no to a glass of water when you’re offered one.
You can learn more about smart hydration here.
GENERAL WELLNESS TIPS
- Fresh air, sunshine and green space all help with mental wellness; try to take time outside every day.
- Do some stretches at your desk during your workday to increase blood circulation to your brain.
- Make meditation part of your daily routine. You can try the Les Mills On Demand mind/body series, or download a meditation app.
- Once or twice a week, try having a bath or reading a book instead of watching TV.
- A schedule that’s too busy can sap your vitality. Consider streamlining your commitments so you can give better energy to the most important things and enjoy them more.
- Do what you love! Take time to pursue the hobbies and interests that you enjoy. These activities will invigorate and energize you.
If you want more health and fitness inspiration, simply sign up to Fit Planet and get the freshest insights and advice straight to your inbox.
This piece originally appeared on LesMills.com.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Les Mills